Sunday, July 26, 2009

Building the Greenhouse - Day 1

I don't think I've ever been so excited about a construction project before in my life. It all started when we found 5 large windows for sale on Craig's List for only $100. That Ad put our dreams for a greenhouse within reach. So we picked up the windows a few months ago and they have been tucked away safe in the carport. Hubby got his normal week off for the month and we had the amount of money we needed saved so yesterday we headed for the lumber store. Thank goodness we have a big truck!

Construction started early this morning. And between the two of us (yes I do know how to swing a hammer and dig a post hole), within a few hours it was already starting to look like the bones of bones of our dream greenhouse with great southern exposure.



We kept asking Mother Nature for overcast skies and a cool breeze to get us through the day. And thankfully she obliged for the majority of that we were working. Although my dear hubby did suffer some aches and pains and a wee bit of a sunburn to the backs of his legs. Some white willow bark spray and ice packs for his knew and a bit of cider vinegar for the sunburn had him feeling better. And he felt relief and a sense of accomplishment that a long overdue and postponed task was on the way to fruitition.

I also managed to harvest a pint of St. Johns Wort Flowers from that bush that you see in the above photo right to the left of my husband. But I'll blog more about that tomorrow J




As the day wore on, we took an iced tea break in front of the pond in the front yard, and were blessed with a visit from our resident squirrel. We had fun watching him stuff his face with sunflower seeds from the platform feeder and then take a siesta of his own on the nearby fence railing.



An hour or two more of work in the cooler evening hours and we were both ready to call it a day. And we were quite happy with the amount of work completed for Day 1 of our newest project.



Thanks for stopping by and sharing in our exciting new project! We will keep updating as things progress.

Blessed Be!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Donna ..

    how exciting for you.!!! keep us updated with the progress..

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I appreciate them and read each and every one of them. It may take me a few days, but I will do my best to leave a response back.
Blessed Be,
GW