Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Multi Herbal Skin Soothing Salve

A few weeks ago I made an herbal salve that we have been using around the house with great results. I just drew from batches of olive oil that I'd previously infused. Taking infused oils of lavender, calendula, chamomile, comfrey root and plantain. To those I added aloe vera oil, wheat germ oil and mango butter for their skin moisturizing, protective and restorative properties, as well as oat kernel extract for its skin soothing nature. I also wanted this to be a product that was totally vegan so instead of using the standard beeswax, I opted to use candelilla and soy waxes instead.

Herbal Properties:

  • Lavender- Believed to be an excellent topical aid for soothing minor skin irritations such as insect bites, or minor burns.
  • Calendula- Reputedly known for its skin soothing effects, calendula also acts as an antiseptic promoting cell repair. It is used most commonly for skin irritations, burns, bruises, sores and in cosmetics.
  • Chamomile- Reputed to have a higher than normal amount of essential oil acting as a natural anti-inflammatory and skin soothing agent.
  • Comfrey Root- Due to the presence of allantoin in comfrey it is believed to aid in repairing damaged tissues caused by sprains, bruises, and muscle injuries.
  • Plantain- Reputed to have soothing, anti-inflammatory properties when used on minor skin irritations and wounds.

 
 

I'd like to post a picture here for you, but I realized this morning, that my husband took the camera to Utah with him and it has my as yet un-uploaded photos still on it. So, when he returns I will post a picture here.

I'm very happy with the way that this herbal salve turned out. We have been using it on everything from minor scrapes and scratches to chapped lips and mosquito bites and have been very happy with the results. Next on the list of salves will be St. John Wort as we have a huge crop of it this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. I appreciate them and read each and every one of them. It may take me a few days, but I will do my best to leave a response back.
Blessed Be,
GW