So, since many friends have begged me to do a tutorial on making Kombucha tea, here we go :)
- 1 Glass Gallon Jar - preferably wide mouth (a glass, Pyrex bowl will work too as long as it holds 1 gallon.
- 1 Stainless Steel or Pyrex saucepan or pot
- 1 Gal. purified or distilled water
- A clean, breathable cloth like a handkerchief, 4-5 layers think of cheesecloth, or a coffee filter, etc.
- 1 rubber band or a length of string or twine to secure the cloth on top of the jar or bowl
- Sugar - Any kind will do but it MUST be actual real sugar. NOT honey, syrup, stevia, etc.
- Tea - loose leaf or tea bags. Black or Green. The higher the caffeine the better
- 1 Cup of Kombucha tea from a previous batch
- 1 Kombucha culture (scoby)
1 gallon purified or distilled water (DO NOT use chlorinated water!)
5-7 tea bags or 5-7 Tbsp. (black tea, green tea or a combination work best. The higher the caffeine content the better)
1 cup of sugar (white sugar, raw sugar or organic pure cane sugar)
1 cup of Kombucha tea from a previous batch
1 Kombucha culture (scoby)
Place your filtered water in a non-reactive pot and bring to a boil. Dissolve the sugar in the water as it is coming to a boil. Once the sugar is fully dissolved (about 5 min.), remove from heat and add your tea. Cover and let steep for 15-20 minutes. Remove tea bags or strain if loose leaf and allow to cool to room temperature.Once cool, pour into your glass jar or bowl, add the cup of reserved kombucha tea and stir well. Place the kombucha culture (scoby) into the jar. Cover with cloth or coffee filter and secure with a rubber band or string. Place in a warm, dark place where it will not be disturbed. In approximated 1 week do a taste test, if it is not to your liking, cover and let set for a another few days. Try not to let it go much past 10 day or it can start to take on a very vinegary flavor. Strain, pour into smaller jars or bottles and refrigerate to stop the fermenting process. Don't forget to hold back 1 cup to make a new batch with. Enjoy!! Make a new batch!
WATCH THE VIDEO TUTORIAL HERE!
Where we get all our tea:
The kind of tea we use:
Gunpowder Green Tea Organic 1 lb.
Jasmine Tea Organic 1 lb.
We recommend the following books: